For the last 7 years, my transportation needs have been served by my beloved '92 Toyota Corolla. To this day, it still holds a special place in my heart. But as of late, it's reliability has become suspect. Below is a diagram of the engine bay and all of its "features". You may need to click and zoom to read all the captions.
The above diagram is limited only to the engine. I could provide a similar view of the interior, but I'll let you imagine. Here's a tidbit, I have to open my door at toll booths, as my window handle has long been broken.When the vibrations caused by the cracked engine bracket had started to cause electrical problems, I decided desperate measures were need. After a few trips to banks, credit unions, and car dealerships, I found the perfect solution to my problems - A 2002 Honda Civic with only 55,000 miles. After playing some hardball with the used car salesman (his Jedi-mind tricks didn't work on me), we decided on a price I liked ($2,000 below Blue Book), $0 down, and a good financing rate. So for the first time ever, I drove home in a new (to me) car.


I love red gauges. I've been scheduling my errands at night so I can see them more.
Finally, I have an engine I can be proud to roll into the Jiffy-Lube, and not get a laundry list of problems when I do.
There was never a question of transmission type. 5-speed or bust. I've become proficient at smooth rev-matched down shifts. I look forward to soft-right turns, so I have an excuse to go from 5th to 2nd.
I'm not the only one with a Civic. Megan is sporting a lovely red version circa 1997.Apart from car-shopping, I've been ridiculously busy balancing a 9-5 job, a bike repair business, and freelance web development work. Whenever possible, I try to find time to go climbing, or out on the lake with my friends. I've enjoyed a great season of wake boarding, and wish the days weren't getting shorter, so I could go out on more evening trips.
![]() |
| Here, I'm doing a 180. I've tried a wake-to-wake 360 several times. It usually ends up in pain. |
This is the captain of the boat, Dave Levin. Dave is one of my best friends, and is largely responsible for getting me into web development. He helped me learn ColdFusion, and gave me a few early projects.Megan began a new job last week. Having learned all training knowledge Petsmart could teach her, she joined a genetics research lab on the UC Davis Campus. One thing she especially enjoys is having intelligent co-workers her age. Also, the location is a big improvement, she no longer has to commute to Sacramento.
Well that's all for now, I think I've taken up enough visual real-estate on this blog. Hope everyone is well, Take Care!
-Peter & Megan

No comments:
Post a Comment